At the corner of what is now Pine Lane and West Center Street lies the remains of what has become the burial site for some of Lititz’s earliest converts to the teachings of Count Zinzendorf. The old St. James Church, a small, log structure also built on this plot of ground, was built in 1744 as a “union” church by the Lutheran, Reformed, and Mennonite settlers of Warwick Township. This church was the first public meeting place built after Zinzendorf’s first visit in 1742 and 12 years before the town of Lititz was established in 1756.
In 1905 Abraham R. Beck, noted Lititz educator and founder of The Beck Family School for Boys (now “Kadima Rehabilitation and Nursing at Lititz,” located at 125 S. Broad Street), wrote: “The Moravian Graveyards at Lititz, Pa. 1744- 1905.” His reference to plural “graveyards” included both the St. James and Lititz Moravian cemeteries.